Did you know there is over 100,000 species of mold worldwide? Impressive right… unless you find it in your home (well that’s aside from penicillin and some good old Roquefort cheese).
It is virtually everywhere (yes even in Antarctica!…Don’t believe me? Google it.) so it is impossible to avoid running into it.
With these 5 tips at least you’ll be able to better protect your home :
- Fix those leaky pipes. Mold loves damp, dark, and moist areas. It is best to routinely head to the basement (or wherever you might have pipes close to water) and check that your pipes are nice and dry. If you do notice there is mold spores…clean them immediately!
- Trim the trees. This one might seem a little odd, but trust me having too much tree coverage creates shade and invites mold to flourish in areas where the sun can’t reach. Plus by trimming the trees, you’ll give your home a nice little face-lift.
- Clean your gutters. You should also make sure that they are draining properly. Mold loves stagnant water sources such as a clogged drainpipe.
- Make sure water flows AWAY from the house. If water flows towards the house it can infiltrate the basement and the excess moisture combined with the darker light is a sure-fire way to develop a mold problem.
- Check your ventilation. It is especially important to check the attic and basement. By establishing a well-ventilated system you’ll keep these areas dry and will make it hard for mold to grow.
If you do happen to find mold spores in your home, we highly recommend you send them to Axxonlab be tested as soon as possible to avoid any further damage. We’ll test them and provide you with a same-day spore-trap analysis. Your home and family will thank you!
Founded in Mont Royal, Quebec in 2011, AxxonLab Inc. is an environmental testing laboratory for regulated substances that specializes in the characterization and quantification of asbestos and mold in the air and in bulk samples.